Monday, September 21, 2009

Change in weather, new love for tea bowls

Being the first cold day of the season, I had a lightbulb moment with my morning cuppa tea. Instead of the usual mug, I instinctively chose the non-handled tea bowl to warm my hands. I used to shun handles because I was terrible at making them - most beginners are - and at the time I preferred non-handled cups anyway... maybe that's just an excuse since I didn't like making handles & I hadn't found many mugs that I liked. In the past year I fell in love with mugs, but I have a newfound appreciation for tea bowls - it's all in the season. On cold days like today mugs might be used more for cold beverages, but a warm cup feels comforting cupped in the hands, more intimate. I can picture me sitting on the couch after a long day at work, wrapped in a blanket, watching the cats run around while imagining different pots form in my head, drinking a toasty cuppa tea. Though I enjoy the long days and outer warmth of summer, I welcome the change in seasons, with the inner warmth of tea, and wearing long-sleeved shirts.

I can't remember the last time I made a tea bowl... if ever. I make many cups, though none I would describe as a "tea bowl." In fact I don't know what it means for a tea bowl to be a tea bowl, except that I have seen enough labeled so that I understand the general form of one. Please, educate me on the history of the tea bowl if you can. Meanwhile, here are some beautiful yunomis (tea bowls that are generally more tall than wide) from one of my favorite artists, Kristen Kieffer:


5 comments:

Brian said...

I've always been told that a 'tea bowl', Chawan, is the short, wide bowl that they make powdered tea in for the Tea Ceremony. A Yunomi is a 'tea cup', taller than wide, for hot tea and beverages. And Guinomi is a smaller Sake cup.

Vicki said...

I agree, when it's cold you want that cozy hand-warming cup of tea! I like the thick ones because thin cups will get too hot and burn my hands.

Unknown said...

I rather like nice handles, but a tumbler or cup whose shape fits perfectly in you hand is wonderful as well, and yes partially because of the warmth. P.S. these tea cups are beautiful!

judsculpt said...

I agree, there is nothing like putting your hands round a tea bowl with hot steaming tea in the winter.

Jerry said...

I don't like really hot drinks, so I prefer my tea bowls on the thinner side. I know I can drink it when I can hold it!

 
Ceramics Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory