Thursday, January 7, 2010

Studio update

I've been a busy little potter this season, making a lot of cups as usual, along with pitchers, jars & teapots. A friend commented on my lack of direction and the fact that I don't stick with one thing for long. It's true, I get bored easily, but I do have plans for a full dinner set, or luncheon set rather. What those pots will look like I haven't figured out yet. At the moment my mind is set on making a cup inspired by my cat Leo. Here he is enjoying a cuppa:


We're also experimenting with glazes at the Arvada Ceramic Arts Guild. Connie Christensen is in her glaze testing phase of the year, now testing dozens of cone 6 glazes, and we have a cone 6 electric glaze workshop at the Guild January 30-31. I haven't experimented much with glazes myself, but I would like to make some ^6 electric microcrystalline glazes. Here are two beautiful examples of a microcrystallines: Susan Filly tumbler, Susan Filley cup. Any advice on making & testing these sorts of glazes is welcome. If you're in the area & you'd like to join us for the workshop, call the guild for more info - 303.423.0448. The Guild is on Facebook too & I post regular updates about our events & news from other Guild members: Arvada Ceramic Arts Guild.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My work can also appear to lack direction (although part of that may just be that I don't get enough of it finished in an expected time period). Over the past year I've tried to bring it together so the portfolio is a bit more cohesive.

Takes discipline when you have so many things you want to explore as an artist!

ang design said...

no real problem there, if you are inspired in multiple directions why not explore them? at least your moggy will look at the camera!

tkceramics said...

It seems that the cat likes his cup a lot. lol... How about making a bowl for him?

Erin said...

Indeed it takes discipline! At least I'm still enjoying the bike cups...
Yeah, Leo likes drinking out of human cups, I was thinking of making a bowl for him :)

HJ said...

Wow! Leo sure is beautiful!
Two out of my three cats prefer to drink out of mugs for some reason.

Tracey Broome said...

I have just found your blog. Lovely cups. I read about your interest in Susan Filley's glaze. I have taken glaze workshops with her and I know that she gets the "snowflakes" as she calls them from using talc in her glaze. She also triple layers colors to get the effects she gets. I agree her glazes are wonderful! as is she :)
She fires to ^10 in a Geil gas kiln.

Erin said...

Thanks for the tips Tracey, I'll have to experiment with talc then...

 
Ceramics Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory