Saturday, April 19, 2008

Simple and Elegant

Janet DeBoos exhibition at Skepsi on Swanston, via strange fragments.

This set speaks to me because it is simple and elegant, two qualities I admire, and qualities I've been thinking a lot about lately.

Last weekend I was thinking about what I want to make, and as a student just 2 weeks away from presenting my senior portfolio, I feel like I should already have a body of work behind me and already be working on a solid concept. Unfortunately I'm still unsure of what I'm doing, and where I'm going in art. In November I'll have a solo exhibition of hand built sculptures in the Oak Room Gallery, but I've been thinking more and more lately about pots. And what I've been thinking about are 2 separate ideas: elegance, and simplicity.

Why do I want to make elegant things? To make life a little more sophisticated. It's like wanting to get dressed up to go to the Oscars from time to time. It's just fun, romantic, and fancy. A step away from the everyday and a step into something shiny & gorgeous. So how would I describe elegance? It's smooth, suave, simple, sophisticated. It's flowing without frills.

On the other hand, I also want to make a simple everyday set. Something that is easy to make, yet well crafted and beautiful. Something that is intriguing and perhaps quirky or fun, but not too flashy.
Neither of these sets will be created in the next few months, but I think this down time from the studio will be a great chance to educate myself about anything and everything related to ceramics (esp. firing, which I have unfortunately little knowledge of). Also to fine-tune my ideas via drawing and painting the pottery I would like to make. Though I'm sad that this will be my last week working in the University's studio, I'm excited for the summer.

0 comments:

 
Ceramics Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory