Monday, January 19, 2009

Slowly Growing

Weirdest thing - this pot is growing a Philodendron!


As I was drawing my little angel plant* I realized I was progressively moving slower with each leaf. I started off with a blind contour line drawing and moved on to this, working quickly at first. It became more difficult because the lines started intersecting with each other, and soon my mistakes jumped out at me. The more detailed the drawing became, the more careful I drew.


I soon realized I work this way in ceramics too. The more difficult something is, the slower I work, and the more hesitant I am to take the next step for fear of messing up. I often take my time getting started on something new when I have an idea for something I'm more familiar with. I suppose all it takes is regular daily practice and the drive to experiment and try something new and unknown. I don't know how to go about making a fruit tray/banana tree, I don't even have a model to draw from. That doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make one.


*The first thing I read on the tag of this "philodendron" was "Exotic Angel Plants" ... as I know nothing about names of plants in general, I promptly forgot the name "philodendron" and have called it the "Angel" plant since the day I bought it.

0 comments:

 
Ceramics Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory